Apple Walnut Granola
You will need
- 6 cups EAT UP! Old Fashioned Rolled Oats
- 1½ cups EAT UP! Oat Flour
- 1½ cups raw walnuts, coarsely chopped
- ½ cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 1 cup coarsely grated fresh apple (with skin)
- ½ cup FARMER DIRECT ground flax seed
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ cup pure maple syrup*
- ½ cup coconut, sunflower, safflower, or canola oil
- ½ cup applesauce
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp each allspice and cardamom
- 1 cup dried apples, coarsely chopped
- ½ cup dried cranberries
Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Lightly grease 2 sheet pans.
In a large bowl, combine oats, oat flour, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, grated apple, flax, and salt.
In a small saucepan, combine maple syrup, oil, applesauce, and spices and bring to a simmer. Stir and pour over oat mix. Use hands or a large spoon to mix wet into dry. Drop in small clumps onto a greased sheet pans, leaving some space between clumps.
Bake for 20 minutes and give it a good stir with a metal spatula. Return to oven and bake another 15 minutes or so, until just starting crisp up and turn golden brown, and stir in the dried apples and cranberries with a metal spatula. Bake for another 5 minutes or so, until golden brown and almost crisp (it will crisp up more as it cools) and remove from oven, giving it another stir, and let cool completely before storing in an air-tight container for up to a month.
*If you prefer a sweeter granola, add ¼ – ½ cup brown sugar to liquid mix.